Updated September 30, 2020
- Through our websites;
- Through emails, texts, and other electronic messages you exchange with us;
- Through your responses to our information request forms, our surveys, our registration forms or our service request forms that you voluntarily complete, either electronically, by phone, verbally in person, or on paper; or
- Through tracking technology such as cookies and web beacons.
This policy does not apply to information collected by third parties, even if the third party websites can be accessed by a link from our websites. You should review the privacy policies of those third parties before providing information to them.
I. Who We Are
- A subscriberis someone who purchases a subscription to one or more of our Publications.
- A registrant is a User who registers for one or more of our Events.
- An attendeeis a person who attends an Event.
- A website visitor accesses our online products, including websites, digital editions, and surveys; these website visitors may also be subscribers, reigstrants or attendees, or they may be be anonymous.
- An advertiser contracts with France Media to place content promoting its products or services in one or more of our Publications or at one or more of our Events.
- An exhibitoris an advertiser that contracts with France Media to display its products or services in some way at one of our Events.
- A sponsor is an advertiser that contracts with France Media to promote its products or services to you through displays at our Events, through emails, surveys, print, video or other content.
- A co-hostcontracts with France Media to co-produce an Event or a Publication.
- A third party vendor is a business with whom France Media contracts in order to facilitiate our business operations.
II. Our Publications and Events
A. Magazines. France Media publishes both print and digital titles as well as digital-only titles. Some of our print and digital magazine titles include Shopping Center Business, Student Housing Business, Seniors Housing Business, Retail & Restaurant Facility Business, California Centers, Southeast Real Estate Business, Heartland Real Estate Business, Northeast Real Estate Business, Western Real Estate Business, Texas Real Estate Business, Southeast Multifamily & Affordable Housing Business, Texas Multifamily & Affordable Housing Business, Western Multifamily & Affordable Housing Business, Midwest Multifamily & Affordable Housing Business, and Northeast Multifamily & Affordable Housing Business. We also publish several other publications as supplements to our own titles and for-hire titles. When you subscribe to one of our titles, we collect information about you necessary to fulfill your subscription which may include your name, postal address, email address or other information.
All of our magazine subscriptions include a free subscription to REBusinessOnline newsletter, or other newsletter associated with the magazine to which you are subscribing. You can opt out of any newsletter by visiting www.francemediainc.com/all-newsletters. This will direct you to an online form that allows you to update your e-mail newsletter subscriptions, including unsubscribing. Opting out of email subscriptions will not affect your print subscription, but does mean you will not receive any electronic editions of such Publications.
B. Websites Some of our websites include www.REBusinessOnline.com, www.studenthousingbusiness.com, www.shoppingcenterbusiness.com, www.ancillaryretail.com, www.seniorshousingbusiness.com, www.retailrestaurantfb.com, www.californiacenters.com, www.francemediainc.com and www.interfaceconferencegroup.com (our “websites”). Some of our websites contain embedded videos and audio files, which are hosted by third-party vendor video and audio hosting sites (“video hosting services”). These video hosting services track anonymous data about your interactions with the embedded video content, such as the number of views and clicks, as well as the time of day videos are viewed and the duration of each view. The video hosting services may require you to enter an email address or register to view certain videos. When you share your contact information for that purpose, both the video hosting service and France Media will have access to your email address and any information you provide. If you register for an account with any of our websites, we will collect information about you, including your name, email address, and other information related to that account.
C. E-Newsletters. France Media publishes e-newsletters on a regular basis, as well as several specialty newsletters that have limited publication schedules. If you subscribe to our e-newsletters, we collect your name, email address, mailing address, company name, title and areas of interest related to commercial real estate. You can opt out of any newsletter by visiting www.francemediainc.com/all-newsletters. This will direct you to an online form that allows you to update your e-mail newsletter subscriptions, including unsubscribing. Opting out of email subscriptions will not affect your print subscription, but does mean you will not receive any electronic editions of such Publications.
D. Conferences. France Media, through its InterFace Conference Group and its individual magazine titles, brings the commercial real estate industry together through a variety of educational conferences and exchange events each year. If you register for one of these conferences, we collect your name, postal address, email address, phone number, and certain information about your interests as they relate to the conference. Your name and company name may be provided to sponsors and exhibitors upon request. For certain Events, we may request more information in order to make certain accommodations for select speakers, attendees, sponsors and vendors.
E. Virtual Conferences. InterFace Conference Group also produces virtual conferences. If you register for one of these online Events, we collect your name, postal address, email address, phone number, and certain information about your interests as they relate to the conference. Your name, title, company name, email address, and state or country location may be provided to sponsors and exhibitors in some circumstances. If you access certain areas of the virtual event, such as the “contact us” feature in an virtual exhibitor booth, your name, company name and email address will be automatically be provided to the exhibitor.
F. Third-party Emails. France Media sometimes uses a third party vendor to send emails to subscribers, registrants and/or attendees behalf of itself or one or more of its advertisers. Recipients of those emails are selected based on demographic or interest data as recorded in our database. France Media does not sell its subscriber data to any third parties, including these advertisers. We do not collect personal information through these emails, but we may use the information you have previously provided to us or data about how you engage with these messages to better understand the type of content you would want to receive.
G. Third-party Mailings. France Media occasionally sends mailings to its subscribers, registrants and/or attendees on behalf of an advertiser. France Media does not sell its subscriber data to any third parties, including these advertisers. We do not collect personal information in conjunction with these mailings, but we may use the information you have previously provided to us or data about how you engage with messages to determine which products would be relevant and potentially of interest to you.
H. Webinars/Video Content. France Media produces and hosts webinars as well as sponsored video content. When we offer webinars or gated video content, we engage one or more third party vendors to collect registration information, to process your registration, and if applicable to process your payment on our behalf. If you register to view one of these Events, your name, email address and other information relative to the Event is collected. We receive the registration information collected by the third party vendor processing registrations. Prior to the Event we will send you information about the Event, and after the Event we may send you a link to the video and audio recording of the Event. We often co-host these Events with a co-host or sponsor. In those cases, your registration information is also shared with the sponsor or co-host. The sponsor or the co-host may use that registration information to promote its products or services to you. We contractually require these co-hosts and sponsors to use the registration information only for their own communications and restrict them from transferring the registration information to any third parties.
I. Surveys. At times we may send you surveys. The surveys are offered through a third party vendor, and the information collected in the survey may be for us or for one of our advertisers. When you respond to a survey, we may collect a variety of information relevant to that survey. Some survey results may be personally identifiable and others will not be. Each survey will indicate whether or not it is collecting personally identifiable information. When a survey is sponsored by one of our advertisers, we may share results of the survey, including your name, title, company name, email address, state/country location, with the advertiser. We contractually require the advertiser to use the provided information only for promoting its own products and services and restrict them from transferring the provided information to any other parties.
III. Information We May Collect
A. Personally Identifiable Information.
- Through the methods described above, we may collect personally identifiable information about you. We may also collect personally identifiable information when you respond to surveys, contact our office or customer service via email or phone or in person subscribe to our Publications, or attend our Events. We may also collect information about you from our advertisers or third party vendors, when you apply for a job with France Media or as part of your employment or contract if you are an employee or contractor of France Media.
- The personal information we collect may include, for example, your name, postal address, email address, phone number, user name, professional information (such as license numbers, title and job function), birthdate, travel related identification numbers (if we are processing your travel reservations) or other identifiers that allow people to contact you.
- Except for information that we are required to maintain for employment or work verification purposes, your disclosure of such information to us is voluntary. However, if you do not wish to provide such information, we may not be able to provide some of the Publications or other services to you and you may be unable to attend the Events.
B. Non-Personally Identifiable Information. Through the methods described below as well as through technical tracking technologies such as cookies and web beacons, we track information that is about you, but does not personally identify you. This information may include, for example, your queries on our websites, the pages of the websites you visit and how long you view each page, and the browser you use to access the website.
C. Access and Usage Details. Through the technical tracking technologies described above, we may collect information about your internet connection, the equipment you use to access our services and other details about your uses of our websites.
The information we collect may be used for different purposes as we continue to expand our service offerings. If we make any material changes to the way we use your personally identifiable information, we will post that information with this policy. Your use of the website, continued receipt of any Publications, or registration for or attendance of any Event, after the new policy is posted indicates acceptance of our new policy.
IV. Use of Information We Collect
Consistent with the use of information already described, we will use the information we collect from you in order to provide the Publications and Events that you have requested, to make you aware of new offerings we provide, to make you aware of products or services being offered by one of our trusted business partners, or to pre-populate certain fields when you register for a new subscription, conference or other service. We may also use your information to ask you to participate in surveys.
The third party vendors we use for circulation, email distribution, survey completion, directory listings, awards entries and other business operations may request personal and/or payment information from you on behalf of France Media. In addition, we also use multiple third-party vendors for our internal customer relationship management software, which may contain the data of some customers. The terms of our service agreements with each of these third-party vendors prohibit them from using your information for their own purposes and from selling data.
V. Your Options For Use of Your Information
When you are employed by, contracted by, or provided services by France Media, there is certain information we are required by law to collect and maintain. For all other information we collect, you have options about providing the information and about how we use it.
You may opt out of any promotional emails or mailings that we may provide. You may change your preferences about use of your personal information, in one of the following ways:
- By clicking the appropriate box on the form, survey or registration page;
- By emailing us at webmaster [at] francemediainc.com;
- By accessing your account page if you have an online account on one or more of our websites;
- By writing to us via U.S. Mail at:
France Publications, Inc.
3535 Piedmont Rd., Suite 950
Atlanta, Georgia 30305
Be assured, France Publications does not sell our subscriber data, electronic or print, to any third party.
This will not impact our use of information provided to France Media as a result of product purchase, warranty registration, product service experience, or other transactions, in order to complete those transactions.
VI. Automatic Data Collection and Tracking Technology
For mobile devices you may need to refer to the specific instructions for your device.
C. Tracking Pixels. Some special advertising pages displayed by our newsletters or websites include tracking pixels provided by outside companies and advertising agencies. These tracking pixels collect anonymous data related to the ad performance. Advertiser links may direct you to pages with cookies that are associated with advertisers and their respective agencies. Cookies do not contain any identifiable information about a particular computer user. France Media has no access to this information, and we do not control these third parties’ tracking technologies or how they may be used. If you have any questions about an advertisement or other targeted content, you should contact the responsible provider directly.
VII. Employment Data
For employment purposes, more specific data is collected and held by France Media for employees, former employees and contractors of the company. For prospective employees, this data is held for a maximum of one year, unless you become employed or engaged under contract. This data is used only for its intended purposes and is shared only with certain employees and is subject to the company’s confidentiality policy and other policies outlined in the company’s employee handbook. Externally, this data is shared only with outside companies with whom you have given France Media permission to share your data, such as payroll and benefits administration.
VIII. Directory Information Submissions and Editorial Content Submissions
When you fill out a submission form for one of our online or print directories (e.g. Lenders Resource Guide or Goldbook publications), or company rankings, you confirm: (1) you are authorized by your company to disclose all information required on the form; (2) you are filling out the form to the best knowledge of the company, its data and practices; and (3) you are representing that the information you submit is accurate and as up-to-date as possible. With some of our directories, all information received by France Media is printed in our magazines or posted in an online listing and is viewable by any visitor to our website.
The data you provide, which could contain names of personnel, phone numbers and other contact information, will be displayed online. In some cases, this may be personally identifiable information. The information contained in our directory listings is readily obtainable by anyone using the website, and directories published in our magazines are viewable by anyone with a copy of the magazine. In the cases of our print directories, this information will be printed and mailed to subscribers, but could end up in the hands of anyone. (Many of our print magazines are also published as digital magazines available on our websites.)
From time to time, if we have not heard from you to renew your subscription(s), we may engage a third-party telemarketing firm to call you about your subscription. Such firms are third party vendors and such calls are placed on behalf of France Media. In these instances, we share relevant subscriber data with the telemarketing firms to allow them to contact you regarding your subscription renewal and to update your contact information if necessary. While telemarketing calls to renew subscriptions are allowed under federal law because France Media has an existing business relationship with you, we want to be respectful of your time and privacy. We contractually prohibit the telemarketer from using your information beyond the scope of work for France Media. If you do not wish to be contacted by phone in the future, please be polite to the caller and inform him or her of your decision; we will be respectful of your request. If you wish to be proactive and notify us of your desire not to receive phone calls, you may let us know through the opt-out procedures set out in Section V above.
X. Use by Children
France Media’s websites are not intended for children under 16 years of age. No one under age 16 may provide any personal information to or on the website. We do not knowingly collect personal information from children under 16. If you are under 16, do not use or provide any information on this website or through any of its features, register on the websites, make any purchases through the websites, use any of the interactive or public comment features of this websites, or provide any information about yourself to us, including your name, address, telephone number, email address, or any screen name or user name you may use. If we learn we have collected or received personal information from a child under 16 without verification of parental consent, we will delete that information. If you believe we might have any information from or about a child under 16, please contact us at webmaster [at] francemediainc.com. California residents under 16 may have additional rights. Please see Section XI regarding the rights of California residents.
XI. California Privacy Rights
The California Consumer Protection Act (“CCPA”) provides consumers (California residents) with specific rights regarding their personal information. If you are a California resident, this section describes your CCPA rights and explains how to exercise those rights.
A. Access to Specific Information and Data Portability Rights
You have the right to request that we disclose certain information to you about our collection and use of your personal information over the past 12 months. Once we receive and confirm your verifiable consumer request (see Exercising Access, Data Portability, and Deletion Rights), we will disclose to you:
- The categories of personal information we collected about you.
- The categories of sources for the personal information we collected about you.
- Our business or commercial purpose for collecting or selling that personal information.
- The categories of third parties with whom we share that personal information.
- The specific pieces of personal information we collected about you (also called a data portability request).
B. Deletion Request Rights
You have the right to request that we delete any of your personal information that we have collected from you and retained, subject to certain exceptions. Once we receive and confirm your verifiable consumer request (see Exercising Access, Data Portability, and Deletion Rights), we will delete (and direct our service providers to delete) your personal information from our records, unless an exception applies.
We may deny your deletion request if retaining the information is necessary for us or our service provider(s) to:
- Complete the transaction for which we collected the personal information, provide a service that you requested, take actions reasonably anticipated within the context of our ongoing business relationship with you, fulfill the terms of a written warranty or product recall conducted in accordance with federal law, or otherwise perform our contract with you.
- Detect security incidents, protect against malicious, deceptive, fraudulent, or illegal activity, or prosecute those responsible for such activities.
- Debug products to identify and repair errors that impair existing intended functionality.
- Exercise free speech, ensure the right of another consumer to exercise their free speech rights, or exercise another right provided for by law.
- Comply with the California Electronic Communications Privacy Act (Cal. Penal Code § 1546 seq.).
- Engage in public or peer-reviewed scientific, historical, or statistical research in the public interest that adheres to all other applicable ethics and privacy laws, when the information’s deletion may likely render impossible or seriously impair the research’s achievement, if you previously provided informed consent.
- Enable solely internal uses that are reasonably aligned with consumer expectations based on your relationship with us.
- Comply with a legal obligation.
- Make other internal and lawful uses of that information that are compatible with the context in which you provided it.
C. Exercising Access, Data Portability, and Deletion Rights
To exercise the access, data portability, and deletion rights described above, please submit a verifiable consumer request to us by emailing us at webmaster [at] francemediainc.com or calling us at (404) 832-8262. You may also submit requests for information at https://www.francemediainc.com/.
Only you, or someone legally authorized to act on your behalf, may make a verifiable consumer request related to your personal information. You may also make a verifiable consumer request on behalf of your minor child. To designate an authorized agent, please email webmaster [at] francemediainc.com and include your agent’s information. We will contact you at the telephone number we have on file to confirm the request.
You may only make a verifiable consumer request for access or data portability twice within a 12-month period. The verifiable consumer request must:
- Provide sufficient information that allows us to reasonably verify you are the person about whom we collected personal information or an authorized representative. The business may require authentication of the consumer that is reasonable in light of the nature of the personal information requested.
- Describe your request with sufficient detail that allows us to properly understand, evaluate, and respond to it.
We cannot respond to your request or provide you with personal information if we cannot verify your identity or authority to make the request and confirm the personal information relates to you.
We will only use personal information provided in a verifiable consumer request to verify the requestor’s identity or authority to make the request.
D. Response Timing and Format
We endeavor to respond to a verifiable consumer request within forty-five (45) days of its receipt. If we require more time (up to 90 days), we will inform you of the reason and extension period in writing.
If you have an account with us, we will deliver our written response to that account. If you do not have an account with us, we will deliver our written response by mail or electronically, at your option.
Any disclosures we provide will only cover the 12-month period preceding the verifiable consumer request’s receipt. The response we provide will also explain the reasons we cannot comply with a request, if applicable. For data portability requests, we will select a format to provide your personal information that is readily useable and should allow you to transmit the information from one entity to another entity without hindrance.
We do not charge a fee to process or respond to your verifiable consumer request unless it is excessive, repetitive, or manifestly unfounded. If we determine that the request warrants a fee, we will tell you why we made that decision and provide you with a cost estimate before completing your request.
E. Personal Information Sales Opt-Out and Opt-In Rights
You have the right to direct us to not sell your personal information at any time (the “right to opt-out”). To exercise the right to opt-out, you (or your authorized representative) may submit a request to us at webmaster [at] francemediainc.com. You do not need to create an account with us to exercise your opt-out rights. We will only use personal information provided in an opt-out request to review and comply with the request.However, please know that we do not sell the personally identifiable information of any consumers.
We will not discriminate against you for exercising any of your CCPA rights. Unless permitted by the CCPA, we will not:
- Deny you goods or services.
- Charge you different prices or rates for goods or services, including through granting discounts or other benefits, or imposing penalties.
- Provide you a different level or quality of goods or services.
- Suggest that you may receive a different price or rate for goods or services or a different level or quality of goods or services.
However, we may offer you certain financial incentives permitted by the CCPA that can result in different prices, rates, or quality levels. Any CCPA-permitted financial incentive we offer will reasonably relate to your personal information’s value and contain written terms that describe the program’s material aspects. Participation in a financial incentive program requires your prior opt in consent, which you may revoke at any time. We do not currently offer any financial incentives.
XII. Data Security
We have implemented measures designed to secure your personal information from accidental loss and from unauthorized access, use, alteration, and disclosure. However, the safety and security of your information also depends on you. Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password for access to certain parts of our websites, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information, particularly the transmission of information via the internet, is not and cannot be completely secure. Although we do our best to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee the security of your personal information transmitted to us in person or through our websites. Any transmission of personal information is at your own risk. We are not responsible for circumvention of any privacy settings or security measures contained on our websites.
XIII. General Information
Click here to view our Attendance and Registration Policies.